There are dozens, even hundreds, of myths and false perceptions about wine that, on many occasions, can lead us into error and prevent us from enjoying such a wonderful product. This is a small selection of some of these false legends:
- The older the better: probably inherited from the Rioja culture of the second part of the 20th century, some people still think that wine gets better with age. While it may be true in certain cases, increasingly less so due to climate change and changes in cultivation and winemaking, all wines have a line of growth, fullness and decline.
- White only of the year: it also depends. There are whites that are aged in barrels and need time to express themselves and others that, even without being aged in oak, are aged on their lees in tanks and improve in the second or third year. An example of this is our
- The best white is a red: Spain has traditionally always paid much more attention to reds than whites. It was common to use red wine technology in the production of whites and even to start the harvest with the whites and take them out of the tanks at full speed when the red wine harvest arrived to make room. The truth, however, is that the best and most expensive wines in the world are white. In Spain, full attention is already being paid to its production and great whites are being made.
- You have to be an expert to enjoy wine: this statement is very annoying. Perhaps the convoluted language of the tasting has put many people off to the point of creating a serious consumption problem in Spain. The best thing to do is to try it: open a bottle in good company, with a partner or friends, and enjoy.
- White for fish and red for meat: not always. We encourage you to taste a fatty fish with a
Viña Bujanda Crianza
Cantos de Valpiedra
or a white meat with a
- Home aging: it is true that there are wineries that release wines to the market before they reach their full potential, usually under pressure from the market or distributors. This is not the case of Familia Martinez Bujanda, although our
is elaborated thinking in a full life for about twenty years. But, be careful, a breeding will not become a ‘reserve’ because you keep it at home for three years before opening it.